Another week of work on this but not a lot to show but a lot done.
I have rebuilt the saucer section for the third time, before I found that the edges where to sharp. When I used the Boolean tool it just buggered everything up.
So to get ride of the sharp edges I remodelled it again. This also meant that out edge of the hull is now a deck and half high instead of a deck. I was hoping to make it two decks high. But when I did this it really did not site well with the rest of the ship. This would of meant sizing that and I really did not want to go down that road. So I am happy with that.
I modelled the Phaser strips that would go around the top most of the hull. I had some issues with getting it to sit right. As it stands at the moment part of it sitting correctly but the other part either going into the hull or hanging just over it. So I am going to play around with that to get it right. Funny thing is when I used the same technique with the lifeboat hatches it work. So I am thinking there most be some sort of issue with the curve tool or how I am using it.
I have also modelled an airlock onto the side of the saucer, it bigger than your normal crew airlock, reason being it would be used to get large cargo into the ship or large equipment that would not fit though a standard airlock. The airlock door still needs details added to it.
The impulse engines have also been modelled and I am happy with their look, I also add in some details around it but more it needed.
RCS have been added, the rear ones are on top of the impulse engines. I don’t see this being a issue as the impulse engineer don’t exert any gasses to propel the ship forward as it is suppose to be some sort of “gravity drive”. In another words it pulls the ship and push like a rocket would.
Last but not least, I have modelled the defector and add in two set of Plush Phaser Canons and some details around this as well, but more details are needed. I have also added some hull panels just to get an idea on how to do it. I am liking the look but I think the cuts between the panels are too big.
Next up is to cut in the windows and hull platting for the rest of the top side of the saucer. Once that is done I will start work on the bottom and start thinking about add in more details.
On a side not this ship currently has 22 life boats installed in the saucer alone. Each life boat can hold up to 8 people. this means that there is room for 176 people to escape if needed. I see this ship being crewed by 150. I still need to put some lifeboats into the secondary hull, so this thing has more than enough room for extra people.
This week I have re-modelled the Saucer and Secondary hull, I have started to add details with the second deck, and the raised section that runs down the spin of the Saucer section.
No major changes to the Saucer I just reworked the section that meets with the secondary hull and plan to work on this section next with details.
With the Secondary Hull the top half is still the same but I have now re-modelled the lower half giving it a slight curve towards the back when looking from the side. I also cleaned a bunch of vectors so that it will be easier to work with when it comes time to start cutting in windows and adding details.
The major work was done to the second deck and the raised section that runs down to spin of the saucer. This I fully re-modelled and adding lots of details.
Windows have been cut in and a small airlock for crew to get out and about when needing to do repairs on the outside of the ship is on one side. Not to happy with the front windows on the second deck at the front, I was going for something in a similar style to Madkoifish, but I would say that I failed at this big time. So will need to take another look at that.
I have added a four lifeboats and hull panels. (I plan to build the lifeboats at a later date and use them for a picture I got in mind.)
I worked out that lifeboats can hold 8 but this can be pushed up to 12.
Towards the back half of the spin is a section that sticks out with a bunch of windows looking out the back of the ship and one large window on top. I see this as being the ship “Ten Forward” area of the ship.
Over the last week I have been just working on the bridge for the ship. This was a pain to do as I did not want it too boxy.
I must of rebuilt 20 time until I was happy with it. Once the shape was locked down, the rest of the build went quickly.
Windows have been cut in and added some details. Not too sure on some of this so might change it as I carry on working on the ship.
Next up Deck 2.