Some idea for the wings for this.
Not to sure on this one.
I also started to on a weapon system for this fighter.
I have been playing Batman Arkham knight and the Canon on the Batmobile was the inspiration for this.
Has it really been four months since I last worked on this?
Guess that what happens when you get lost with other projects.
On to the updates.
For the impulse engines module I wanted to have something that looks a little industrial. I knocked out a few ideas, but nothing was really working.
I think this was due to the fact that Federation stuff is not very industrial looking as all the working parts are hidden behind panels.
The only thing to survive these design ideas was the frame.
What I have now is more Federation looking. It also has a bit of a module look to it.
The idea behind this is that these things are work horses around Starbases and Dry-docks. They can’t be down for too long for repairs. So to keep them out doing there jobs the parts are able to be hot swappable. Taking no more than an hour to remove the part and replace it.
I have given this module large impulse engines as I see it not just working around single planet but system wide.
For shuttles the size of the Workbee it can take a few days to cross a system at full impulse. But for a star ship it only takes a few hours, so with these larger engine it would take just under a half a day to get from Earth to Pluto.
I can also see this module being used with Tugs, to help with some extra power.
(Tugs have never really been seen fully in Trek. Though you can see some blurry things acting as Tugs in the War episodes of DS9)
The one thing that I am not to happy with is the landing legs on the bottom. I think they could have been a little bigger.
What started out as a small project has just increased in size.
I only expected this project to last a few weeks. Granted the primary project was done in a few weeks, but I went and decided to build a few attachments to go with it.
With working on a few non 3D projects this is taking longer than I would like to get done. But hay-ho, I am hoping to get this done before Christmas so I can put together the idea of a picture I had last Christmas.
Anyway with that said. More work done on the main body of the cargo attachment.
Except for a little work on the underside I think I am done.
I have modelled some more details and put in some power cores for the cargo container holders to work, add some navigation lights and the links for the Workbee / other cargo attachments to connect together.
I will next be working on impulse engines to move this thing around.
And here it is textured.
Slow going with everything that is currently going on at work and home.
With that said I have managed to build some RCS thrusters. I decide to go old school with these. Reason being is that the attachment will never be far from a Starbase of Ship. As they also be used constantly they will wear out a lot fast then those used on a Starship or a shuttle, so having them open make it far easier to swap them out when they need to be replaced.
Here are the parts Textured.
I am now moving on to building some navigation light that would sit on this and also the connection points that would be used for the Workbeek, impulse engines and extra cargo attachment to connect togther.
After building the clamps and scrapping them and rebuilding them again and again.
I now finally have them where I am happy with them.
Here they are with no textures; you will notice that there are no pipes for the fluid that goes into the pistons. I modelled that after I had rendered this picture and forgot to re-render it with them.
One of the biggest issues I have had in the past with models is that I did not add textures and materials as I went along. (This is why the Akria Class that I built still is not finished.) So this time I have done it. Here is a close up on the clamps with the textures and materials applied. I want to get a used look on the metal, but everything I have done is not working so I will have to come back to this.
Here is a picture of the whole cargo attachment. I did not like the idea of just one clamp holding the containers in place so I have given it two.
I also tried adding clamps to the bottom but it looking a bit too busy.
What do you guys think?
While I think that over I will be moving onto the RCS thrusters.
Before stating work on the cargo attachment for the Workbee, I have built the cargo containers that I will be using.
They are simple and just a little smaller than a Workbee.
I started to block out the shape from my version, but noticed that this is far larger than the one seen in the show and films. It also looks very different to what has come before.
With that I started to block out another version, this was closer to what has been seen. I started to knock up a connector for the Workbee to attach to the “train” but nothing was working.
I think this was due to my design going to far from the look that has been established.
With that I have scrapped both versions, and started again.
This time I am starting from the connection point. There is not much to show on that just yet, but here are the two failed version I did for the “train”.
Here is the Workbee with the Arm Pods textured.
I have gone for a dirtier look for this. Reason being it that it would get cover in crap for the work it does.
The Wrokbee would also get cover in crap but it would be cleaned up, while the arms would not be cleaned as often.
I am now looking for some good references of the cargo containers used in Trek. Though I most likely go with my own design.